During the 1960s and the early 1970s, even science classified homosexuality as a mental disorder. However, in 1973, the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from the list of mental disorders as mentioned in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It took the World Health Organization (WHO) another 20 years to accept the decision of the AMA. In spite of forming nearly 4 percent of the population, they are still stigmatized by the society at large.
Did you know?
- The LGBTQIA+ forms 4% of the total world population
- Suicide is three-times more common in the LGBTQIA+ community compared to heterosexuals
- The LGBTQIA+ youth are 1.75 times more likely to be depressed or anxious
- Less than 50% of the LGBTQIA+ community has access to education
- 62% LGBTQIA+ pursuing education face discrimination
- 92% of the LGBTQIA+ community members do not access to economic earning