Bipolar Disorder Rehabilitation Center In Gurgaon
Characterized by severe mood swings such as recurring, interrelated episodes of extreme excitability and depression, bipolar disorder (BD) is among the major contributors of mortality and psychiatric disability across the world.
- People with BD are highly unpredictable due to frequent switching between extreme moods.
- The episode associated with extreme low is referred to as manic depression or bipolar depression, whereas the episode of high euphoria is termed as hypomania
- Bipolar disorder develops in stages over years, mostly during childhood and puberty when pre-clinical symptoms including anxiety, impaired cognitive function, and sleep disruptions may occur frequently.
- The initial episode of depression may run for several years before a hypomanic phase completes the bipolar cycle.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
BD is characterized by various symptoms however the severity of bipolar disorder symptoms may vary. While some people may experience distinct manic or depressed states very frequently, some may live without symptoms for extended periods, sometimes for years. Generally, symptoms of BD can be divided into two major phases:
- Depressive Episode
- Manic Episode
Symptoms of a Manic Episode
- Feeling highly excited, elated, or irritable
- Feeling wired or jumpy
- Feeling more active than usual
- Racing thoughts
- Rapid changes in moods
- Unpredictable behavior
- Impaired judgment
- Feeling unusually talented, important, or powerful
Symptoms of a Depressive Episode
- Feeling sad, worried, or empty
- Lack of energy
- Irregular sleep patterns
- Difficulty in getting out of bed
- Eating too much or too little
- Low concentration
- Suicidal ideation
- Having a hard time making decisions
Conditions That Can Co-Occur With Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder can coexist with other mental health conditions such as
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Misuse of Drugs or Alcohol
- Eating Disorders
Causes of Bipolar Disorder
Although it is difficult to ascertain clear causes of bipolar disorder, persistent stress, heredity, chronic anxiety disorders, abnormal brain structure and function, among others may contribute to the problem.
- Genetics and family history: BD can run in families. Studies suggest that people with certain genes are more likely to develop BD. Research also suggests that children with a parent or sibling suffering from BD are more likely to develop the illness.
- Brain structure and functioning: As evident from studies, abnormal functioning of brain circuits involving serotonin (a chemical messenger) may attribute to mood disorders.
Environment and/or lifestyle changes: Individuals with BD have a genetic predisposition to problems associated with the sleep-wake cycle that may trigger symptoms of bipolar depression and mania. For those who are genetically predisposed, environmental stressors also play a role in triggering bipolar episodes. As per research, children of parents with bipolar disorder often get surrounded by significant environmental stressors making them prone to developing the disorder.
At Athena, we have a specialized team of healthcare professionals that ensures proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment of various forms of BD.
Athena’s Bipolar Disorder Treatment Plan
Athena’s bipolar disorder treatment plan integrates medication management, psychotherapy, and experiential therapy in accordance with the specific requirements of an individual to treat BD.
Some of the common medications used to treat BD include mood stabilizers, antidepressants, and atypical antipsychotics.
Psychotherapy is an effective therapeutic approach to providing support, education, and guidance to individuals with various behavioral health problems. Some of the commonly used psychotherapies include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), family-focused therapy, group, and individual psychotherapy, interpersonal and social psychotherapy, and psychoeducation.
Athena Behavioral Health holds expertise in offering a multitude of non-chemical treatment modalities to help reduce the severity and occurrence of symptoms while preventing relapse and improving a patient’s cognition and self-awareness. Our innovative rehabilitation centers in India provide a safe and secure environment to help patients recover in the minimum possible time.
In addition to CBT and psychoeducational groups, we are engaged in organizing experiential and alternative therapeutic activities aimed at stabilizing mood. Some of these activities include meditation therapy for bipolar disorder, yoga, and exercise, among others.
If you or a loved one is suffering from bipolar disorder symptoms and are seeking treatment, get in touch with Athena Behavioral Health. Call our 24/7 helpline number 9289086193 to know more about our bipolar disorder treatment plan. Alternatively, you can also chat online with our mental health experts to understand how Athena can help you or a loved one overcome bipolar disorder.