How To Avoid Drug Addiction Among Teens?
Teenage is the most critical stage of life. One gets easily influenced by the factors surrounding him/her – be it environmental, physical, or emotional. This, in turn, increases his/her chances of leading a healthy life as well as getting addicted to some form of substance. Various studies conducted in the past have revealed that the problem of drug addiction among teens is extremely disturbing across the globe.
As per a recent survey conducted by an NGO in India, approximately 63.6 percent of patients coming in for treatment were introduced to drugs at a young age below 15 years. According to another report, 13.1 percent of people involved in drug and substance abuse in India were below 20 years.
It is important to understand that a teen can get addicted to drugs due to multiple reasons. Some of these include:
- Family history of substance abuse
- Mental health issue such as depression or anxiety
- Risk-taking behavior
- Victim of child abuse
- Trauma or grief
- Low self-esteem
- Social rejection
Impact of Drug Abuse on Teens
Drug use can lead to several negative impacts on teens’ mental health. It can also lead to the development of drug addiction, serious impairment, illness, and sometimes even death among teens. Along with these, some of the other severe effects of drug abuse on teens include:
- Dependence on drugs
- Inability to judge social interactions
- Risk of engaging in unsafe sexual activity
- Increased risk of mental health disorders like depression or anxiety
- Decline in school performance/academics
- Ruined relationships
Ways to Avoid Drug Addiction Among Teens
Parents play a critical role in their teen’s life. Since parents influence their teen’s behavior in social circles and how they lead their lives, it is important for them to be aware of the ways in which drug addiction can be avoided among them. Some of the common ways that can prove to be helpful are:
- Observe their activities : Keep a close check on the activities that interest them. Make sure that they do not fall trap to activities that involve giving try to any form of substance. Also, make sure that your teen does not feel lonely as this would increase his/her chances of using illicit substances.
- Know their friend circle : Keep an eye on your teen’s friend circle as they have a huge impact on their lives. Make sure that there is nobody in their circle who is addicted to any form of substance as it is very likely that he/she would pressurize your teen to give it a try. This, in turn, would increase his/her chances of developing addiction to any form of illicit substance.
- Spend some in-person time : Make your teen feel valued by spending some quality time with them. Avoid any sort of distraction when you are with them so that you may strengthen your bond with them.
- Be an active listener : Involve your teen in a productive conversation on a regular basis. Ask them open-ended questions and be ready to listen to what they have to say. Do not interrupt when they are sharing their thoughts as this would help them in gaining back their lost confidence and trust in you.
- Offer empathy and support : Let your teen know that you are present for them in every situation of their lives. Help them understand that dealing with difficult situations is a part and parcel of life but using alcohol or any other illicit substance won’t help.
Prevention is the key!
It is important for parents to understand that talking to your teen about drug abuse at an early age is extremely important. This would help them realize the harm it may cause and how important it is to stay away from these substances. If you think that it’s already too late and your teen has developed addiction to some form of substance, then it’s time to seek professional help.
Athena Behavioral Health is one of the safest and secure treatment centers for mental health and addiction. The experts at our treatment facility design a custom-made treatment plan for each patient to ensure their patients’ fastest recovery. So, if any teen around you or someone else you know is addicted to any form of substance or is dealing with any mental health issue, Athena Behavioral Health is the place to. To know more about our treatment plans and facility, contact us at 919289086193 or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read More : Detox Centers in India